Sometimes even the small annoyances can get the best of you, especially when they don’t seem to go away. They are called “tolerations” and in some cases, you may not even be aware of them.
But there are ways to eliminate tolerations by first recognizing exactly what they are.
They appear in the form of:
- Things that need to be cleaned out, decluttered or organized: your car, your refrigerator, your desk, your closet, your home.
- Repairs or maintenance that are needed.
- Habits you need to break.
- Relationships with coworkers, bosses, friends, relatives and family members who are annoying or frustrating in some way.
- Meetings of all kinds that are unproductive, unengaging or unnecessary
- Ineffective, inappropriate or poor communication
Essentially tolerations can include just about anything that bothers you that you keep putting up with. When not addressed, they negatively impact your life and work–draining your mental and emotional energy.
Gayle Lantz offers 5 steps to help leaders eliminate tolerations in their life or work. She challenges them to see that they have more control than they may realize.
This episode covers:
- Explanation of tolerations, including specific examples.
- Specific steps to eliminate tolerations: Brain dump, Rate severity, Identify what you can control/influence, Assess difficulty of solution, Release what you can’t control.
- Suggestion for helping your team eliminate tolerations
- Complaining vs. doing