Everyone needs and desires to feel appreciated for who they are and what they contribute. Yet many leaders don’t understand how to show authentic appreciation in ways that truly resonate with team members.
Gayle Lantz speaks with Dr. Paul White, psychologist and co-author of The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace. The other co-author is Gary Chapman (author of the NY Times #1 best-selling book, The 5 Love Languages).
They dive deep into the heart of leadership, exploring how expressing appreciation at work leads to greater success, stronger teams, and a workplace that feels like a labor of love.
This episode covers:
- Common misconceptions leaders have about showing appreciation
- Data revealing the preferred ‘languages’ people want to receive appreciation
- The difference between recognition and authentic appreciation
- How to appreciate people beyond job performance
- Why it takes more than the leader – it must involve the whole team
- Resources for creating a culture of appreciation from the top-down
- How appreciation positively impacts metrics like turnover, customer satisfaction, and profit
- Simple starter tips any leader can implement right away
Appreciation is not just a feel-good exercise – it boosts employee engagement, reduces staff turnover, and improves the bottom line. Leaders of all levels will gain insights about how to express appreciation at work in ways that truly resonate.